Future of Unconventionals – Geoscience and Engineering Aspects
Tom Blasingame, SPE President
Tuesday, 27 July 2021, 12:15 p.m.–1:30 p.m. | Houston, Texas
This presentation discusses the geoscience and engineering aspects based on the work of a small study group convened for this purpose as well as a large-scale "crowd-source" effort by the presenter. The presentation covers geology, geophysics, petrophysics, PVT, productions/operations, well spacing/placement, reservoir engineering (Diagnostics, RTA/PTA, modelling), reserves (DCA), and data analytics topics, as well as the integration of these topics.
- 12:15 pm–1:30 pm
- In-Person – George R. Brown Convention Center
Dr. Tom Blasingame is a Professor in the Department of Petroleum Engineering at Texas A&M University in College Station Texas. He holds B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees from Texas A&M University — all in Petroleum Engineering. In teaching and research activities Blasingame focuses on petrophysics, reservoir engineering, diagnostics / analysis / interpretation of well performance, unconventional resources, and technical mathematics.
Blasingame's research efforts deal with topics in applied reservoir engineering, reservoir modeling, and production engineering. Blasingame has made numerous contributions to the petroleum literature in well test analysis, analysis of production data, reservoir management, evaluation of low/ultra-low permeability reservoirs, and general reservoir engineering (e.g., hydrocarbon phase behavior, natural gas engineering, inflow performance relations, material balance methods, and field studies).
To date (January 2021), Blasingame has graduated 73 M.S. (thesis), 35 M.Eng. (report, non-thesis), and 16 Ph.D. students, and he has prepared more than 170 technical articles, as well as having performed several major field studies involving geology, petrophysics, and engineering tasks.
Blasingame is a member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE), the Society for Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) and the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG).
Blasingame's SPE service includes the following highlights:
- (2000) — Distinguished Member of the Society of Petroleum Engineers
- (2005) — SPE Distinguished Service Award
- (2005-2006) — SPE Distinguished Lecturer
- (2006) — SPE Uren Award (for technology contributions before age 45)
- (2012) — SPE Lucas Medal (SPE's preeminent technical award)
- (2013) — SPE DeGolyer Distinguished Service Medal
- (2014) — SPE Distinguished Achievement Award for Petroleum Engineering Faculty
- (2015) — SPE Honorary Membership
- (2015-2018) — SPE Technical Director for Reservoir
- (2020-2021) — 2021 SPE President
In addition, Blasingame has chaired numerous technical committees and technical conference, symposia, and workshops.
George R. Brown Convention Center
1001 Avenida De Las Americas