URTeC SC-09 | Carbonate Essentials: Pores to Prospect
Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG)
Saturday, 18 July – Sunday, 19 July 2020, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. | Austin, Texas
Who Should Attend
Intended Audience: Entry Level
BS degree in Geology, Geophysics, Petroleum Engineering or related field. Three years’ work experience preferred.
Provide a framework and workflows for exploring and appraising low permeability shales, carbonates, and sandstones in frontier basins, as well as new areas in basins that are producing from unconventional reservoirs.
This course is an overview of carbonates from geology to seismic interpretation, with particular emphasis on karst topography and seismic expression thereof.
Carbonate reservoirs represent over 60% of worldwide petroleum reserves, including emerging unconventional reservoirs. Unlike clastics, carbonate mineralogy is relatively simple, while complexity arises from depositional environment lateral variability, pore structure, digenesis and dissolution. These factors influence bulk rock properties and, in turn, seismic response. The course offers a broad overview of carbonate geology and properties that can be mapped on a seismic scale as potential hydrocarbon reservoirs. To illustrate key concepts, field sites and case histories are presented from global locations.
- Geology: classification, deposition, diagenesis, dolomite, chalk, pores, karst
- Rock Physics: velocity versus [everything], beware ND correlation, Gassmann in carbonates?, diagenesis and rock physics
- 3.Wireline: fractures and cross-dipole sonic, Vp/Vs-Impedance space, synthetic seismogram, time-depth curve
- Seismic 101: tuning, resolution, spatial aliasing, dip and throw, 3D intro, meaning of seismic amplitude
- Horizons: layers and information, tracking in unfaulted terrain, offset tracking, flattening, depth conversion, tracking in faulted terrain, geobody extraction
- Attributes: acoustic impedance, similarity, curvature, spectral decomposition, AVO
- 30 People
- 1.5 Credits
- Breakfast and lunch snacks
- Course notes, downloadable PDF and access to SEG on Demand
Austin Convention Center
500 E Cesar Chavez St.